D’ARCY S.J., Martin (Cyril) (1888-1978)
Jesuit priest, philosopher of love, and a correspondent, friend and advisor to a range of literary figures including Evelyn Waugh, Dorothy Sayers and W. H. Auden.
SP – Signed Photograph: color glossy snapshot measure 3.5″x3.5″ circa March 1974. On the reverse of the image (D’Arcy in a garden) D’Arcy has penned to John Christopher and Robert Merril Allen, Martin D’Arcy, S.J. In another hand (likely Allen) is penned: Very Rev. Martin C. D’Arcy, SJ, against the flowering background of a ramblen rose at Marycrest Manor. Accompanied by the original mailing envelope in the handwriting of D’Arcy with his signature in the lower left.
D’Arcy has been described as “perhaps England’s foremost Catholic public intellectual from the 1930s until his death.” Educated at Stonyhurst, he entered the Society of Jesus in 1908 and was ordained in 1921. He was provincial of the English Province of the order from 1945-50. He spent much of his working life at the English Jesuit house in Oxford, Campion Hall, but also spent periods in residence at American universities, including Georgetown, Gonzaga, Cornell and at the Institute for Advance Study in Princeton, NJ. His major work is “The Mind and Heart of Love,” published by T.S. Eliot at Faber and Faber in 1945. The permanent collection of Loyola University Museum of Art is named in his memory.