HUBBARD RETURNS HOME
Recently, it was our pleasure to donate a five-page manuscript of ELBERT HUBBARD, along with two unrelated autograph pieces, to the Roycroft Campus Corporation, East Aurora, New York. This material will become a permanent addition to the growing archive related to the life and times of Elbert Hubbard and is on view in the new Roycroft Museum housed in the Print Shop Building, 21 South Grove Street, East Aurora.
Elbert Green Hubbard (1856-1915) was an American writer, publisher, artist, and philosopher. Raised in Hudson, Illinois, he had early success as a traveling salesman for the Larkin Soap Company. He is, perhaps, best known best as the founder of the Roycroft artisan community in East Aurora, New York, an influential exponent of the Arts and Crafts Movement. Among his many publications were the fourteen-volume work Little Journeys to the Homes of the Great and the short publication A Message to Garcia. He and his second wife, Alice Moore Hubbard, died aboard the RMS Lusitania when it was sunk by a German submarine off the coast of Ireland on May 7, 1915.
The Roycroft Campus is the best preserved and most complete complex of buildings remaining in the United States of the “guilds” that evolved as centers of craftsmanship and philosophy during the late 19th century. The Campus, designated a National Historic Landmark district (NHL) in 1986, contains nine of the original 14 structures including the Inn, the Chapel, the Print Shop, the Furniture Shop, and the Copper Shop.